Sunday 23 August 2009

Toronto Semis: Underwhelmed



Elena Dementieva d. Serena Williams 7-6(2), 6-1


Semis of Wimbledon this was not. First set contested evenly enough, with Serena fading into painful insignificance in the second.

I can’t say I was especially feeling the fire,” Williams said. “Obviously you want to do well, and I always really want to do well. Honestly, I think I could have and should have won, but I didn’t, so … it is what it is.”

I wasn't feeling the fire either. Come to think of it I wasn't feeling much of anything.

“I was really waiting for this match after Wimbledon,” said Dementieva, who has two tournament wins this year but none since January. “It’s always very interesting to play against Serena, and I was looking for revenge after Wimbledon.

“I was very positive on the court, and very satisfied with the way I was playing.”


It's actually great to hear Elena got her teeth into this and was motivated by the loss at Wimbledon. It's not the best tennis I've seen her play in recent months, but barring a mishap or a major serving flunkout, she should edge past Shaza to claim her third title this year.



Sharapova d. Kleybanova 6-2, 4-6, 6-4



This sounds like an equally untidy topsy-turvy affair. Sharapova fought through in the way you might expect her to, but the length of this match and the fact that it should have been Jankovic and not Kleybanova in the semis leave me a little underwhelmed.


Something tells me the final will be a little different though.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP