Friday 14 August 2009

Flying Corks...

Well things have sure came alive. To think I'd been complaining about potential corkers being undone by injury and sheer boredom.

Cincy and Montreal, yesterday: corks flying all over the place.

Tsonga d. Federer 7-6, 1-6, 7-6

Reading some of the match accounts, you'd think Tsonga played little or no part in his first very deserved win over Federer.

It's not that I don't think Federer blew the match. He was truly cruising, and in an unexpected throwback to earlier this year, almost seemed to forgot there's still another couple of miles of good road left.

But Tsonga played a very effective first set, culminating in this gob stopping dive-volley



The injury he sustained in that fall is what probably lay behind his poor showing in the second set.

As for Federer, I don't buy into the theory that his desire and intensity are going to be dimmed, now that domesticity has well and truly landed. But neither do I find anything remiss about the odd poor showing at a Masters Event. The focus has always been on the Slams from, I'd say around Slam Title #10 onwards. That focus has probably only intensified.

Safina d. Clijsters 6-2, 7-5

I'll admit to only keeping a very casual eye on the womens event over in Cincy. But I'm glad I did, because when I switched over I got my first glimpse of Kim Clijsters this week, hitting shots like this.



And finishing rallies like this.



In my most stuffy museum curator voice: Observe if you will, the fluidity, speed and consistency around the court.

I want to take two years off work, if it means I can wage a comeback like this.

That said, I'm actually kinda glad Kim didn't put out Dinara today. Can you imagine the torrent of abuse she'd (Safina) have to endure if that happened?

blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP