Saturday 4 July 2009

The 'Dour Scot'...

Not the best womens final, but not that far from what I expected.

And then of course I made the HUGE mistake of switching over to a mini documentary the BBC had compiled on last years mens final.

And spent the rest of the evening getting goose-pimply all over again.

Missed out on Nestor/Zimonjic defending their doubles crown. Sorry guys! (all guilt-ridden).

Williamses have just come through against Stubbs and Stosur.

Can I also mention in passing, how everyone seems to be in a rush to beat up on Dinara for being the most outclassed #1 we've had in recent years, but seem to be unaware or wilfully ignorant of the 6-1, 6-2 beat down the Williamses handed to the number one ranked doubles players in the world?

My point being that it's less a fault of the opposition - its what they do better than anyone else. Hand beatdowns that is.

This was unnecessary:

Q. Do you see yourself as No. 1?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I see myself as No. 2. That's where I am. I think Dinara did a great job to get to No. 1. She won Rome and Madrid (laughter).

Good recovery though:

Q. We all know the slams are the key events in our sport. Do you think someone somewhere should sit down and maybe tweak the ranking system a little bit so we don't have this problem?

SERENA WILLIAMS: Uhm, I mean, maybe if I'd have done better at the French Open, like got to the semifinals, maybe things would have been different. But, uhm, honestly, I'm not picking on anybody. Everyone works hard.

I think the girl, Dinara, who is No. 1, you can clearly see by her physique how hard she works. You can't get anywhere by not doing the best and not working your hardest.

So, you know, I'm happy for her. I'm really excited that I won Wimbledon, though, because, like I said, I'd rather win that than not win the Championships.


But I have other beefs. Specifically with the press. Not only were they unwilling to give Roddick a dignified scrap of a chance in the build up to the semi final yesterday. A Grand Slam Champion and a former world #1.

They seem to think it's ok to go back to treating Murray as the 'dour Scot' once again.

I may have some issues with the way in which Murray over emphasised the role of Roddick's serve in his defeat, but he most certainly was not 'mauled' yesterday, as the Express seem have to seen it (headline's no longer up on their site - go figure).


I also think he's made massive improvements in the way he conducts himself. Yes he might smile a little more, but everyone's different,

The other thing I was a little taken aback with, was the slightly muted levels of support he received from the crowd yesterday. They went over the top last year with the booing of Gasquet when he went for a well earned toilet break, but Murray was a real contender this time round and it wasn't until well into the third or fourth set that they saw fit to really begin getting involved.


I saw a bit of this during his match against Wawrinka on Monday. But that was still earlier on in the event- you might have expected it to crank up as the tournament progressed.

I don't know - I think he might have benefited from more energetic vociferous support - kept in tasteful limits of course. He may have even delivered a different result.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP