Tuesday 28 July 2009

Call that a TV schedule? Stanford Edition

UK TV seems intent on pretending that large parts of the US Open Series simply don't exist.

Sensible coverage set to resume for Montreal.

Boo, you whores.

Expect my coverage to be equally intermittent. And stroppy.

Though I do have a comment or two on the following Stanford results:

Dementieva (3) bt Keothavong 6-1, 6-4


(Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)

Anne Keothavong's season much like the economy, shows little signs of an upturn, though you can hardly talk her down for being taken out by the #4 player in the world. That, my compadres, is one of those rare signs of order in the WTA. Dementieva insists she remains unaffected by that Wimbledon semi-final :

"It's not something that ticks me off," insisted the 27-year-old, who will play either Maria Kirilenko or Anna Chakvetadze in the second round.


"It was a good experience and a good match. I was just disappointed in the way I lost."


(BBC)



Here's someone you can talk down, should you be of that persuasion.

Radwanska (7) bt Cirstea 6-0, 6-1

Aggy is a fab player, but really, there's no excuse for this kind of a result. With the big wins Sorana has had recently she should be looking to work her way up the rankings, and make a bid for top ten entry.

It's the magnitude of the loss more than anything else, that bothers me. Against a player whom her game seems custom built to subdue. Aggy is a former top tenner, but her game is not built around pace and she remains vulnerable to heavy-handed tennis; a fact Sorana with that serve of her's, should be poised to take advantage of.

Having said that, I find it difficult to complain whenever I see Aggy beat up on big hitters.

Sharapova bt Sugiyama 6-4, 6-7, 6-1

Shaza squandered a 5-2 lead in the second before closing it out quite neatly in the last set. Which suggests to me, that despite her shoulder being "one hundred percent", there's still the need to get match fit.

(Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)

"I had so many chances to close out the match and I didn't," said Sharapova, currently ranked 62nd in the world. "I couldn't raise my level when had to.



"But in the third set I didn't do anything wrong, I was steady and kept doing the right things."



(Sky Sports)


Fortunately there remains plenty of time to do just that, ahead of the US Open.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP