Saturday 2 May 2009

Seething...

I dislike hero-worship.

And today we've seen it's worst possible manifestation. To those not in the know some idiot thought it would be a great idea to whistle during one of Djoko's ball tosses at 4-4 with Djoko serving
at break point. He went on to lose the game and the first set.

Rains stopped play early on in the second set.

I backed Federer to win this, (even though I predicted Djoko to come through) purely because I think his confidence could do with getting to a final again.

And the funny thing is, up until that unfortunate incident both players were playing at an incredibly high level.

Each to their own, but I'm not a 'fan' of Federer or Nadal or anyone else for that matter in the hormonal teenage 'groupie' sense of the word. What I like is great tennis and box office personalities. I also admire hard work and gutsiness, even when it comes from players I'm not backing.

If I went on personality alone, I'd probably go with Nadal, Federer, Murray-Djoko (last two in equal measure). But what I dislike is when rabid fans like this get in the way of high quality competition.

I'm not suggesting that Federer wouldn't have taken that opening set had that Fed-worshipping dork not opened his/her big mouth (Federer was playing well enough and pressing hard enough).

What I do know, is it affected Djoko who wasn't the same from that point on. You could argue he should have it in him to get over it, and for what it's worth I think he did a pretty good job of containing his emotions.

Still hoping Federer comes through, but I'm almost backing Djoko to sneak the second set so we have a decider.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP