Thursday 28 May 2009

Lleyton on 'Wimby'...

I was going to ignore this one and I don't want to jump ahead to the grass court season too soon, but I'm torn between treating this as a strangely compelling source of inspiration or an especially contemptuous form of mirth.

Either way I continue to admire Rusty, who probably thinks he can do anything now that he's downed Ivo in a five setter that saw the wandering monster fire no less than a staggering 55 aces at him - a new world record.

The BBC headlines the piece as "
I can win Wimbledon again - Hewitt", which is almost certain to get you to read it, though I suspect, for all the wrong reasons.

Having said that, you wouldn't be disappointed by what he actually said:

"...there's probably only a handful of players that are capable of winning Wimbledon each year on that particular surface, and I throw my name in the mix, obviously if you get the right draw..."

(Source: BBC Sport)

I'd be interested in finding out who the other players in that handful are - and while we're on the subject, does that hand belong to John Isner or Christophe Rochus?

Inspirational Determination or Delusional Drollery?
(Photo:Reuters)

The reference to 'that particular surface' is interesting - he either means grass itself, which many hard courters do find it strangely difficult to adapt to. Or else, he's in that large camp of grumpy bedwetters* that feel Wimbledon's grass has been slowed down too much. Strange, I would have thought that slower hard court feel would have suited him to a tee.

It's also interesting to note that up until three years ago when Nadal first made the Wimbledon final, Federer
himself -- after proclaiming some surprise for how speedily Nadal had adapted to grass -- put both Hewitt and Roddick in that handful too.

Penny for your thoughts Lleyton, on the damage you think you can do to Mr Pink?

* I was in that camp myself, and continue to believe that all four Slams play a little too similarly. The way I see it, is it wouldn't hurt to make the surface a little faster again.. But none of this detracts from how bored I am of hearing this debate year after year after year...
blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP