Wednesday 1 April 2009

Honest To Blog?

A slight detour before I return to the more regular wrap ups. I've just finished watching Juno. Yes I know it's nearly two years old, and I'm not normally in the habit of watching anything tagged 'Teen' or 'High-school', but I had to see what all the fuss was about.

Not going to post a film review on a tennis blog but I will say that if you can stomach the Hipsterisms ("Honest to Blog?") and are patient enough to weather the incessant, and at times laboured torrent of one liners -- that have all the pace of a Dementieva rally and aren't always as 'snappy' and 'witty' as the hype would have you believe -- there
is quite a warm tale in there that sensitively and comically handles a really tricky subject.

Now - here's the problem with a tennis fan watching indie films, and the main point of the post.
It's not the first time I've been guilty of trying to look for Federer/Nadal like protagonists, or at least caricatures of my favourite players when I should just have been enjoying the film.

But the funny thing is I didn't have to be nearly as exacting as all that, as 10 minutes into the movie we're shown Juno's love interest. A quick search of any tennis messaging board will confirm that I'm not the first to notice this (particularly as the film's been out for almost two years), and I'll admit there's also dozens of images out there in which he looks nothing like him, but the resemblance of Mr Cera to to a certain Latvian Wunderkind is at times so striking, that I think its worth examining again:






And if that's not 'Separated at Birth' enough for you, they're both also born in 1988.

What I really want to see is Gulbis turning up to the Montreal Masters (most of Juno's cast and crew are Canadian) dressed like this:

Gulbis: "A Title here would be just...Wizard"

I'll stop the madness now.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP