Saturday 30 January 2010

Melbourne: Palookaville.


Federer d. Tsonga 6-2 6-3 6-2


“I have a feeling that JW will be awestruck and Fed may end up blowing him off court.”

-- 2Hander, Tennis is Served… 28 January 2010 12:06


Sage like. I stand in awe.



It's not the first time either.



Mark all fan mail c/o ‘Tennis is Served…’.


I actually gave Jo-Wills more of a fighting chance – to radiate awesome for one competitive set, he may or may not have won.


federer (Photo: MARTIN PHILBEY/AFP/Getty Images)


Clearly one of the most dreamy beatdowns inflicted at this level since Fed went to the mattresses on A-Rod on this very same arena three years ago. A-Rod had the courtesy to arrive armed to the hiltJo-Wills brought a knife to a gunfight.


You know it’s been a bad day when you can only remember ‘Mr Slamdunk’ himself having made around three successful volleys.


Playing dink-a-boo tennis positioned metres behind the baseline is now as uniquely French as the Eiffel Tower.


Well he’ll not fart on my cart again – I’m done with him.


tsonga (Photo: WILLIAM WEST/AFP/Getty Images)


I have nothing left to give.


Fear, hope, pain, anger, denial and despair - eventually, all things merge into one, and a shiver runs through it.


***


It’s difficult however not to be impressed by the form Fed brought to bear, despite his opponent seemingly so intent on going Palooka on us.


I’m not sure I’ve seen this much confidence exuded from him in over two years.


With Murray waiting in the final, and British Tennis having had to wait for 150,000 years, this couldn’t have come a moment too soon.


A few words of caution however:


1) I wouldn’t read too much into that 6-4 H2H Murray has over Fed – you only need take a look at the way he was taken to the cleaners in London and Toronto last year to know that the tide has turned.


2) I liked what I saw of Murray against Nadal. Against Marin – not so much. All a little too dink-a-boo.


That may have been a conscious play against a tired opponent.


It may also have been a lapsing into Muzz 0.7 now that there was no demonstrable need to venture out of his comfort zone.


I’m reserving judgement - for the next 32 hours.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP