Saturday 20 June 2009

Wimby Men's Draw Revisited, Revisited...

Rafa's departure puts a slightly different slant on things.

Show must go on, and all that...

1st Quarter

Rafa's switch up with
del Potro hasn't changed things that substantially.
Except I'm suddenly preferring Hewitt's chances over
del Potro, given the obvious grass court pedigree and Juan still being something of an SW19 virgin.

Ditto
Davydenko and Ferrer, not really anyone's idea of grass court tennis, but both of whom I think can make things very difficult for Juan.

Though Juan will grow in strength if he survives his initial encounters.

I also think
Berdych has suddenly lost his edge that only existed while Rafa was still around. And I probably read way too much into that anyway.

I'd like to think all of this makes Juan the dark horse except I think he'd demand more from himself and has clearly developed beyond that stage.

(Winner: A Rod)
(Dark Horse: Lleyton Hewitt)


2nd Quarter (Unchanged)

Murray doesn't have it
that easy either. He's just come off a stinging loss to Gonzo in Paris - that Bagel he suffered has to have left something of an impression. Wawrinka's probably the other biggest threat, and I'm loving what I've been seeing from him this year - remember he lost to Safin last year, so it's not like he can't play on grass.

Then there's
Safin himself, who I want to say good things about, but won't be, seeing as keeping quiet and expecting nowt proved to be a wonderful strategy last year.

Gilles Simon, Ernie
Gulbis. Wish them well. But all a lot of big talk (and no badge).

The guy I want to make a lot of noise about, and who I'm looking forward to seeing most though, has to be Taylor Dent. If you remember his match against
Federer in Miami from earlier this year, you'll understand why. Serve and volley at it's finest. Bags of talent. And very easy on the eye. He said at the time he'd be forgoing the clay court season to concentrate on getting fit - he was pretty out of shape in Miami, coming back as he was from an extended injury layoff.

But as I say, I can't see anyone other than Gonzo and
Wawrinka giving Murray trouble, and Andy will be out for revenge.

(Winner: Murray)
(Dark Horse: Taylor Dent)

3rd Quarter

Big question is whether Juan's removal from this section of the draw will strengthen
Novak's chances. It obviously will, except I still think he's dangerously susceptible to an early exit.

Believe me there's plenty of players remaining that can pull that off. Not least
Seppi, who'll be pleased to be facing Blake and not Juan in the opening round. I wouldn't mind seeing him do well given the way he played here last year.

Other players to look out for: Tommy
Robredo, who put right my poor opinion of his game in Paris, but this is grass. A couple of big serving Croatians, in Marin Cilic and Ivan Ljubicic ('Croatia shalt continually produce tall, big serving players that will do well on grass before being upended by injury or simply failing to live up to their talent' [Elder Tomes of Tennisdom: 4-3.24])

Then there's Tommy Haas, who I just
have to pick as my dark horse, given what he achieved in Halle last week. And because I love watching him play. And swearing in German.

(Winner: Djokovic)
(Dark Horse: Tommy Haas)


4th Quarter (Unchanged)

Mmmm, can I just say Federer and be done with it? Didn't think so.

Well let me just start by saying that this is a
rough draw too.

Kohlschreiber's a magical player, and he'll be happy with what he achieved in Halle, not to mention that big win over Djoko in Paris.

Feliciano Lopez, the grass court Spaniard. Also the biggest Spanish headcase. But also the biggest serving Spaniard, a deft volleyer - and that will do wonders for you on any surface.

Not as big a serve as Dr
Ivo's though, who's beginning to carve out a niche role for himself as the millstone around Roger's neck. I've lost count of how many times I've seen him in Federer's section of the draw. Good news is Roger virtually always comes through.

Robin
Soderling. Well. It certainly is crunch time isn't it? In terms of "Will he/Won't he follow up"? Can play on grass, that much is for certain. And his heavy, flat (ugly) groundies together with that big serve will pose problems for anyone who faces him. That said, I think Roger will do exactly what he did in Paris should he face him.

I'd love to say something good about Jo-Willy and it certainly is his surface to shine. But I'm not liking his lack of confidence recently. Don't think his time is quite nigh.

The player I'm most interested in is Fernando
Verdasco, who's gone under the radar a little since his exploits from earlier this year. Don't think he's a grassie, never has been, never will be. But he's one of the most confident players in this part of the draw.

(Winner: Federer)
(Dark Horse: Fernando Verdasco)

Semis:

Roddick over Murray in five
Federer over Djokovic in four

Final:

Federer over Roddick in four.

That almost certainly covers it. I hope.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP