Thursday 25 June 2009

Love Thy Enemy...

I'm beginning to think I should dub this my "Feelgood Season" or "The Year of the Living Affectionately". It's certainly turning out to be one in which I begin to adopt a more tolerant approach in my treatment of trends and personalities I simply didn't have time for before.

First there was my hate-hate relationship with Azarenka - one that left me unsure of whether I was repelled more by her 'crash and burn' histrionics or her one-dimensional monotoned style of play. Both in equal measure. Or so I thought.

That quickly thawed when I realised that super efficient robotic style of play resulted in her hitting more lines on average than I think I remember from anyone else recently. Can't argue with that. Be stupid to try.

And the way in which she dealt with the French crowd put paid to any objections I might have had about her conduct.

Then there's Juan del Potro, who began the year as what I described as "a surly Argentine", with seemingly little imagination or thought going into any shot.

He then had those wins over Murray and Nadal earlier this year and took Federer to five sets in Paris.

(Photo: CARL DE SOUZA/AFP/Getty Images)

He now tops my list of 'Tennis Nobility'. A rolling week on week measure of all round feel-good, loveliness. It runs alongside the conventional ATP rankings. Rafael Nadal recently vacated the top spot.

Concede a line call to your opponent without calling down the umpire in a clay court match, or play your way through injury and you shoot up. Taking conveniently timed injury timeouts/bathroom breaks, or making unnecessary comments about someone's mum on the other hand, will see you plummet fast.

It's not just the
vastly improved levels of maturity, astonishing for a guy that's just turned twenty.

It's how he's always prepared to go that little bit extra. Those warm, lengthy congratulatory words he has for his opponents at the net. That entertaining moment we had in his match against Hewitt today, when he ran into the net post, and enamoured the crowd with a smile. Keep in mind that the few here that know anything about him, only tend to do so because of that highly publicised acrimony between him and Murray last year.

Nadal better watch himself, because Juan's also outdoing him in that other key measure of feel-good proficiency - praising thy opponent.

The day however surely belonged to Lleyton who came out and played the best three sets of grass court tennis I think I've seen from him in many years. I'm actually tired of hearing him described as 'a dogged competitor' or 'that little terrier'.

Apart from the very unflattering canine images that spring to mind, it's selling him a little short. For me, with his ability at the net and the many different shades of spin he can put on the ball, there's still a lot he can bring to the game most notably on grass, but also against other less experienced opponents on other surfaces.

One thing is for certain: that hip looks to be in fine nick. I don't know how long this spell is set to last, but if he somehow manages to keep most of his matches short, it won't be burn-out that'llbe responsible for his exit.

Juan however, is evidently not a grassie. Though I think he belongs to that category of players that quickly find their feet and very soon excel on
all surfaces. He wasn't after all what many would consider a clay court player either. Anyone care to now ask Federer his opinion on Juan's clay court proficiency?

There was further loveliness to be had in the way Murray dispatched poor young Ernie Gulbis today. Apart from that second set, that was pretty cold and pretty efficient. At least from Ernie's point of view.


Gulbis powered his way out of most what Murray threw his way, but you had to think he was in trouble when he tried to take on Murray in the battle of the backhand slices.

There's plenty to admire in Ernie's game, most notably that serve. But feathery touch is evidently not part of it. And he's still too impatient and erratic with those explosive groundies.

There's also plenty to admire in Murray's game. This performance made good on his dodgy opener against Kendrick a couple of days back. But the real reason I'm enraptured with him tonight is he also made good on that other miscue of his opening match by wearing that sleeveless woolly jumper on court. No jacket, just starchy white cable-knit in all it's comforting and highly decadent glory.

Breath deeply. All is well once again.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP