Monday 1 June 2009

Oh Yeah, The Women's Event...


Third big upset on the ladies side today as Sorana Cirstea, edged out Jelena Jankovic in an epic three setter, she eventually won 3-6 6-0 9-7.

To be honest I've only been keeping a casual eye on proceedings in the womens event, what with the alternate universe scenarios being played out in the mens event over the past three days.

I blame wormholes myself.

But this was in some ways not that unexpected given the way Jankovic had been playing of late, and the determined way Cirstea plays, who first rendered me speechless when I caught a glimpse of her in the closing stages of her match against Wozniacki.

(Photo: JACQUES DEMARTHON/AFP/Getty Images via Yahoo! Sports)

Romania, and Tennis, has a new star. Catalin - This one's for you...

***

All this talk of parallel universes getting their lines crossed (and by doing so, bringing alive some of our craziest fun-filled fantasies as well as our more hellish nightmares) has got me thinking that the ladies are due for their own unique dose of bedlam.

-- What if Sharapova went all the way through to winning this thing? What kind of shock waves would that send through the locker room? Implausible but not impossible.

-- If Serena -- now through to play Kuzzie in the quarters -- pulls of the unexpected by going all the way here, she'll be WELL on course to complete another one of those Serena-Slams. Yes I know I anti-picked this one.

-- And how cool would it be it be if fresh-faced Cirstea followed up on her big win over Jankovic, by going all the way?

What if, indeed...

I'm sticking however, with Dinara as my #1 pick. Not only does she deserve it, but it'll put an end to all that 'real #1' rot. With Sveta as an endearingly close second. Just because "she's worth it".
blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP