Saturday 24 October 2009

Why on court coaching is a BAD idea, exhibit B

wozniacki_vig (AP Photo/Itsuo Inouye)


Caz-Woz retiring hurt at 7-5, 5-0 up against Anne Kremer in Luxembourg. Old news, right?


"I went onto the court and said to her: 'Caro, it does not matter whether it's going to be 5-0, 4-1 or 3-2. You can not play the next round, so you shouldn't take the risk," Piotr Wozniacki said Thursday on Danish radio. "I'm very proud of Caroline, because she stopped the fight and gave her opponent a chance."

The father's comments during the match led to a surge in online bets for Kremer to win.

"So, people bet on my matches. Some win, others lose. I just know that I am clean. It is most important to me," Wozniacki said. "And if anyone is in doubt about my injury, I can both produce scan from the hospital and a report from the tournament physiotherapist."

Although it appears unlikely that Wozniacki conspired to fix the match, she could still be fined for "lack of effort" according to International Tennis Federation statutes.

(ESPN)


I think I understand the fine, but you have to love the image of Caz Woz “conspiring” to fix matches amidst a team of heavies in a disused warehouse.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP