Tuesday 1 September 2009

Flushing Meadows: I'm not Yoking...

(Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images)

Williams d. Dushevina 6-7(5), 7-5, 6-3

I didn't see it at first, but Vera Dushevina is a female Soderling of sorts.

Stiff movement.

Big first serve.

Straight-arm, deep sledgehammer groundies she uses to take it to, and sometimes to out hit, the big babes.

Inconsistent, but she really ought to improve upon that #47 ranking.

Venus, or rather Richard, reveals her bad knee has been plaguing her for about "five or six weeks".

I can't say she was my pick this time round anyway, and this certainly accounts for a lot of those errors; but
equally, I do think Vera has an underrated ability to stay in rallies with some heavy counterpunching of her own - rallies Venus is normally expected to win in about three shots.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP