Monday 13 September 2010

USO: In their words.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The day after the day “it” happened.

 

Djokovic d. Federer 5-7 6-1 5-7 6-2 7-5

 

There’ll be no post today. I’m afraid I’m going to need to marinate in “it” for a while.

 

In their own words then. Though at this point, either could tell me that the moon’s made of blue cheese and I’d take their word for it.

 

Because clearly the moon is made of blue cheese.

 

Fed, on missed opportunities:

 

Unfortunately the second and fourth just kind of snuck away from me, I guess. The 1‑All 40‑15 game for me was a tough one to take in the second set, because I thought momentum was completely on my side.

I tried to play aggressive, not to give him too much rhythm, and it all came back at me. I let him back in the match like that.

Sure, now looking back I missed a few too many forehands at the very end, but the match won't be decided on winners only. You can also see mistakes, and he pushed me to make those. Credit to him.

 

I wish I could say he only hit winners to get back and whatever and I played my very best tennis, but it wasn't the case.

It was just a case of a tough situation to be in for both of us, and someone has to win. It's just the way it is. There's no draws in our sport. Obviously I like to see a match like this being two winners, but one guy had to win. It won't be written that way, unfortunately.

It's a tough loss for me, but it's only going to fuel me with more motivation to practice hard and get back to Grand Slam finals, which I haven't been in for the last three slams. I feel like I'm playing well, and I would have deserved to be in the finals tomorrow.

Novak has the shot, and I wish him the best.

 

On Djoko:

 

…it was not like the guy can't play under pressure. He's proven his point, and time and time again. I knew he was gonna be a really tough opponent. The guys who overlooked him don't know anything about tennis, unfortunately.

 

Djoko on “THE MATCH”:

 

…it's one of those matches that you will remember for the rest of your life, not just because you won against one of the best players that ever played this game at that occasion, but as well, you know, coming back from match points down and under the circumstances playing good tennis and winning in the end, the thriller, you know.

 

On “THOSE (saved) MATCH POINTS”:

 

Today, I kind of closed my eyes on the forehands in the match points and just went for the shots. I was lucky. This is the edge that you always have when you're playing a top player. Two top guys are playing against each other, and there is not much difference, to be honest.

I knew that before the match very few points will decide the winner.

 

On Rafa and Goathood:

 

I give him a big chance. I think already he's one of the best ever because he has won Olympic gold medal, he has won Davis Cup, he has won every major except this one, and so many tournaments. He has the records of 1000 events as well, and he's still only 24 years old. So it's just incredible what he has done so far in his career. He's still a great champion and a great person off the court.

 

…stats and results tell you everything, you know. I can say in one hand, as I told you, Roger results‑wise is the best ever.

Then you have Rafa who has won Davis Cup and Olympic gold medal and all these things and still very young and still having a lot of time to come. He has a big chance to overcome any of the best‑ever players that play this game.

 

 

Novak Djokovic needs his second Slam title more than Rafa needs his Career Grand Slam. Discuss.

blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP