Wednesday 4 November 2009

A Splash of Colour…

“Joining a list of stars who have worn the brand, that includes Muhammad Ali and David Beckham, is an honour. I’m in no doubt that this deal will help me both on and off the court.”
-- Murray on going Barricade

So begins a five year, £10M deal, entitled “Competition and Barricade colourways”. Whatever that means.

We’ll get a glimpse of those ‘colourways’, when he takes to court with Laura Robson at the Hopman Cup next year. I can’t wait.


murray_vig(Photo: Jasper Juinen/Getty Images)


Except Murray’s not about colour. Nor is he that colourful, for that matter. But that’s not the only objection I have.

I’ve had my criticisms of some of his decisions over the years, and I’m not about to shoot him down for leveraging upon what might turn out to be the most bankable period in his career, but I always thought that signing up with Fred Perry was one his savviest moves yet. Then of course he parted ways with Gilbert and assembled Team Murray.

It wasn’t just the vintage appeal of the iconic brand, and I wasn’t always a great fan of some of their more bland colour combos.

But it was understated, in a way which is all British; certainly more than any of the more jetsprayed lines Adidas and Nike have rolled out over the years. It also happened to suit Murray’s wry, somewhat abrasive, tell-it-like-it-is persona, to a tee. Qualities which make his pairing with Robson next year, all the more compelling.

It’s still too early to form any strong opinion one way or the other, for which we’ll need to get a look in at exactly how colourful those colourways are.

But my gut instinct says that Nole is a better fit with Adidas and that colour isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be.

BTW Murray came through his opener in Valencia in straights yesterday. A field that includes Nikolay, Tsonga and Verdasco.

The appetite for London, of those last two seems undimmed. But where is Big Rob?

blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP