Sunday 10 May 2009

Clay Court Blues...

I've always had a soft spot for green American clay courts. For one thing, they aren't green - closer I'd say to a kind of slatey grey.

But it also seems like a stirring act of defiance in a tennis world where big brother says you can play on any coloured court you want provided it's blue.

Just like the Aussie Open in fact, that until this year was played on a distinctive, instantly recognisable green surface.

I wasn't a great fan of that particular shade of green, and I have to say the blue looks far better. But it was quaint, it was distinctive and like I say, you instantly knew you were in Melbourne.

But I made my peace with that, as it was after all a hard court event.

However I consider it a step too far when you begin messing with different surfaces, as the Madrid event organisers, in a stupefying display of boorishness, looked set to do with their attempt to stage the event on blue clay.

That really is as absurd as it sounds. Thankfully someone in the ATP saw fit to put an end to it all.

I was already a little uneasy with the sounds being emitted from Madrid; particularly it's promotion as "the fifth slam". I thought Indian Wells and Miami already played that card - and to be frank, they don't always carry it off very well either.

In any event wouldn't it be more tactful to run the tournament for at least one season before making these types of claims? Strikes me as pretty disrespectful to Rome, Monte Carlo and even Hamburg - an event that has history dating back to the late nineteenth century.

But that's nothing compared with the warped world of Clay Court Blues.

How soon before we see 'bluegrass' played at Wimbledon?

Don't those in charge feel we already have enough event played on blue courts - must we now also add events played on different surfaces to that group?

Not surprised that Rafa, Roger and Serena appear to agree...
blog comments powered by Disqus

Disclaimer

All images on this site have been found in the public domain.
Credit has been given wherever possible.
If you feel your copyright is being infringed upon by any particular image, please contact me and I'll have it taken it down.

You Said...

Powered by Disqus

Receive Updates by Email...

Enter your email address:

  © Free Blogger Templates Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP